Loss of Working Life Years Due to Mortality, Sickness Absence, or Ill-health Retirement: A Comprehensive Approach to Estimating Disease Burden in the Workplace
- No study has simultaneously assessed disease burden in terms of mortality and morbidity.
- We developed a new method of quantifying disease burden in the workplace.
- Mental and behavioral disorders made a considerable contribution to the disease burden due to sickness absence and ill-health retirement.
- Neoplasms and diseases of the circulatory system made marked contributions to the number of working years lost due to mortality.
- This method may facilitate corporate management by enhancing our understanding of the disease burden in the workplace.